The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE)
The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) is India’s leading recognised professional society devoted to the advancement of Science and Technology of Electronics, Telecommunication & IT founded in 1953. The IETE is the National Apex Professional body of Electronics and Telecommunication, Computer Science and IT Professionals. It serves more than 1, 25, 000 members (including Corporate, Students and ISF members) through 64 centers, spread all over India and abroad. The Institution provides leadership in Scientific and Technical areas of direct importance to national development and economy. Government of India has recognised IETE as a Scientific and Industrial Research Organization (SIRO) and also notified as an educational Institution of national eminence. The objectives of IETE focus on advancing electro-technology.
IETE conducts and sponsors technical meetings, conferences, symposia, and exhibitions all over India, publishes technical journals and provides continuing education as well as career advancement opportunities to its members. IETE focuses on advancement of the Science and Technology of Electronics, Telecommunication, Computers, Information Technology and related areas. Towards this end, the Institution promotes and conducts basic engineering and continuing technical education programmes for human resource development.
The IETE conducts both the Graduateship (AMIETE) Examination in Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering and Information Technology streams and Diploma (DIPIETE) Examination in Electronics & Telecommunication and Computer Science & Engineering streams. A pass in AMIETE Examination is recognised by Government of India for the purposes of recruitment to superior posts and services under the Central Government while a pass in Diploma Level (DIPIETE) Examination is recognised by the Ministry of HRD, Govt. of India for the purpose of employment to posts & services under the Central Government in the appropriate field. The IETE also conducts postgraduate level course ALCCS (Advanced Level Course in Computer Science) which is also recognized by the Ministry of HRD, Government of India, as equivalent to M. Tech in Computer Science for the appointment to superior posts & services under the Central Government.
IETE at SSMIET
The Institution of Electronics and Telecommunication Engineers (IETE) Students Forum (ISF) was inaugurated by Dr. D. Selvathi, Chairman, IETE, Sivakasi center in ECE department, SSM Institute of Engineering and Technology, Dindigul on 5th February, 2015. The IETE Students forum of SSMIET has been set up with 115 student members from ECE. The IETE Sivakasi centre, Mepco schlenk engineering college provides support and coordination in the establishment of the forum. Now currently there are 230 student members to till date.
The IETE Students Forum shall have the following broad objectives:
- To plan and organize technical programmes and activities, such as, special lectures, workshops, seminars, symposia, exhibitions etc for the benefit of student members on a regular basis.
- To provide a common platform for the student members to exchange ideas and information on the topics of their interest e.g. curriculum, employment / higher educational opportunities, emerging trends, new development etc;
- To facilitate technical visits / practical training / project work / employment, of the student members in R&D laboratories, industries, academic institutions etc;
- To encourage team work and the spirit of self-reliance among the student members;
- To serve as a focal point at the institution on all aspects of professional development of the student members.