Dr. N. Sampath Kumar is working as an associate professor in the department of chemistry in SSMIET for the past 4 Years 6 Months. He has 16 Years of Teaching Experience in various Institutions. His research is mainly focused on phytochemistry and crystal growth.
Ph.D. (Chemistry), Bharathidasan University, Trichirappalli, 2012
M.Phil. (Chemistry), Government College for Men, Kumbakonam, 2003.
M.Sc.,& B.Sc. (Chemistry), A.V.C. College, Mayiladuthurai.
Sampath Kumar’s area of research is broadly focused on phytochemistry and solid state chemistry.
Cardiovascular Diseases rank seventh in the major causes of human death among the seventeen. Coronary heart disease is the cause of mortality in 50% of people around the world. Hyperlipidemia is considered to be the most influential risk factor for CHD. The excessive presence of cholesterol in the blood vessel can cause hyperlipidemia. It can be reduced by the administration of the extracts of the traditional medicinal plants. The active materials present in those plants can reduce the risk factor by reducing the blood cholesterol level.
From the fruits of Citrullus colocyhthis, cucurbitacin I and cucurbitacin L were isolated by solvent extraction in the increasing order of their polarity viz peroxide free Et2O, EtOAc and ethyl methyl ketone. The structures of the isolated compounds are elucidated by spectral techniques like 1H & 13C NMR.
The morphology of the cholesterol in the blood vessel is plate shaped and the morphology depends on the nature of the solvents and other factors. The effect of concentration, pH, nature of the solvents and temperature are examined.
The inhibition effect of cucurbitacin I and cucurbitacin L were tested in various solvents like acetone, EtOH and MeOH at different pH and temperature. The newly formed cholesterol crystals were characterized by means of FTIR and XRD spectral techniques. The inhibition effect of inhibitors were observed by the change in morphology of crystal and also supported by the change in the crystal parameters.
Below is a list of publications. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders.
1. N Sampathkumar , G Madhurambal, Quercetagetin Glycoside from the flowers of Bombax ceiba, Asian J. Research Chem. 3(1); 2010, 78-80
2. N Sampathkumar, G Madhurambal, Joan Marina, Myricetin Glycoside from the flowers of Hibiscus cannabinus, Asian J.Research Chem. 3(1); 2010, 81-82
3. N Sampathkumar, G Madhurambal, Cucurbitacin Glycosides from the fruits of Citrullus colocynthis (L), Research J. Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2(3), 2010, 200-202.
4. N Sampathkumar, G Madhurambal, Effect of Cucurbitacin L on the crystal defects of Cholesterol Monohydrate, Asian J. Chem. vol.23, No. 3(2011), 1401-1402.
5. N Sampathkumar, G Madhurambal, Effect of Citrullus colocynthis metabolites’ on in vitro crystallization of Cholesterol Monohydrate, Scitech Publications India Pvt. Ltd. 2011,312-314
6. N Sampathkumar, Evaluation of RBC membrane stabilization and antioxidant activity of Bombax ceiba in an in vitro method, International J. Pharma and Bio Sciences,Vol.2, (1),2011,220-226
7. N Sampathkumar, G Madhurambal, Inhibition effect of ethyl acetate soluble fraction of Citrullus colocynthis metabolites on in vitro cholesterol crystallisation, Asian J. Chem. vol.23, No. 10 (2011), 4292-4294
8. N Sampathkumar, Phytochemical Investigation and the Evaluation of Hypolipidemic Activity of an aqueous Extract of Ananus Comosus (L) Mirr., J. Biochem. Biotech., 3(2), 2012, 61-64
9. N Sampathkumar, Effect of pH and Solvents on In-vitro Cholesterol Crystallization, Oriental J. Physics, 4(2), 2012, 95-98
10. N Sampathkumar, Evaluation of Pharmacological Potential of Fruits of Solanum Xanthocarpum, Intl. J. Pharma & Bio. Arch., 3(6), 2012, 1467-1471
11. N Sampathkumar, RBC membrane stabilization property & antioxidant activity of Myricetin 3-o-glucoside – An in vitro method, Int. J. Pharma Res. & Dev., Vol. 4(11), 2013, 17-22.
12. S. Karthikeyan, N Sampathkumar, R. Ebenezer, S. Chandra Mohan and P. Balasubramanian,
Synthesis, characterization and antimicrobial activity of Cobalt (II), Nickel (II) and Zinc (II)
complexes with azo ligand derived from 1(4-amino phenyl) ethanone, Der Chemica Sinica, 2015,
13. N Sampathkumar and V. Balamurugan, In-vitro Antioxidant Activity, Total Phenolic and Total Flavonoid Contents of Flower Extract of Calotropis gigantea, Res. J. Phytochem., 9 (3): 137-143, 2015
14. Somasundaram Anbu Anjugam Vandarkuzhali, Sampathkumar Natarajan, Shanmugapriya Jeyabalan, Gandhi Sivaraman, Subramanian Singaravadivel, Shanmugam Muthusubramanian, and Balasubramanian Viswanathan, Pineapple Peel derived Carbon dots: Applications as Sensor, molecular keypad lock and memory device, ACS Omega, 2018, 3 (10), pp 12584–12592.
Lecturer, S.K.S.S. Arts College, Thirupanandal, Kumbakonam from August 2000 to June 2007.
Senior Assistant Professor in Chemistry, Chettinad College of Engineering and Technology, Karur from June 2007 to September 2013.
1. Reviewed Text book of Engineering Chemistry authored by Sivakumar & Sivakumar, Tata McGraw-Hill (India), New Delhi.
2. Reviewer for International journals like greener journals, International agricultural journal and National Product Research.
Seminars and Invited Conferences
1. National Seminar on Recent Advances in Chemistry, (February 2008), ADM College for Women, Nagapattinam.
2. National Symposium on Water for All, (February 2009), Amirta University, Coimbatore.
3. Recent Advances in Chemistry, (February 2009), AVC College, Mayiladuthurai.
4. Faculty Development Programme on Environmental Technology, (March 2009), Government College of Engineering, Salem.
5. Faculty Development Programme on Student Counseling and career guidance (March 2009) conducted by Technical Teachers training and Research in association with Ministry of Human Resource Development at ToCH Institute of Science and Technology, Ernakulam.
6. National Conference on Materials Science, (October 2009), Annamalai University, Chidambaram.
7. National Seminar on New Frontiers in Chemistry, (March 2010), Annamalai University, Chidambaram.
8. National Conference on New renaissance in Chemical Research, (March 2011), SRM University, Chennai.
9. The 18th American Conference on Crystal Growth and Epitaxy, (August 2011), Monterey, California.